How to set the default system (locale?) encoding

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 4 05:47:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 04:44 -0500, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> One thing that is kind of interesting.  It intrigued me so much that I
> ran the script that contained all the commands that I used to output
> the Bible into plain text files (by book, for this example)
> With the changes I made that I noted above, "file" says different
> things about some of the files.  I will leave out the files that say
> "UTF-8" in the description:
> 1-03-Leviticus.txt:       ASCII English text, with very long lines
> 2-17-Esther.txt:          ASCII English text, with very long lines
> 3-20-Proverbs.txt:        ASCII English text

Oh, and if you're referring to the "very long lines", bit.  I'll guess
that those without it don't have lines of text anywhere near as long as
the other ones, though I don't know what the threshold is.  Try opening
them in a text editor where you can turn off line wrapping.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.