FC6 install does not recognize the CD/DVD it successfully booted from

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Sat May 5 23:00:01 UTC 2007

Scott van Looy skrev:
> Today Frode Petersen did spake thusly:
>> I have downloaded FC-6-x86_64-boot.iso (CD image for internet install)
>> and FC-6-x86_64-DVD.iso (DVD image for normal install), and burnt them
>> on corresponding media using Brasero. I have also tried GnomeBaker on
>> the DVD.
>>
>> The procedure:
>> 1. Boot from the CD or the DVD. Results are identical for both.
>> 2. Type "linux askmethod" or "linux rescue". (Same result)
>> 2. Choose language, keyboard and install type 'Local CD-ROM'
>> 3. The DVD-player ejects the disk and FC install complains:
>>     "The Fedora Core CD was not found in any of
>>      your CDROM drives. Please insert the Fedora
>>      Core CD and press OK to retry."

>> - Timeout of media mount during install to short. This would indicate
>> a drive on the brink of collapse. Is there a way to increase such a
>> timeout just to check?
>>
>> - I have seen someone mentioning that the bios is used for the initial
>> mount (pre entering 'linux' to start install) and that linux later
>> uses it's own driver to mount later. Does this change occur at the
>> point in the procedure where it fails? If so, how do I diagnose
>> whether this is a driver failure?
>>
>> - Burning the isos resulted in some kind of error in the media
>> metadata (for lack of a better term). Maybe some bit or byte or label
>> unrelated to the files should be set to a certain value, and it wasn't?
>>

> I think there's a bug with EIDE on some mobos with NV SATA - I'm seeing
> exactly the same behaviour on a K8N-DL (NForce 4 pro chipset)

That was something I didn't consider. Is there a way to confirm that
such a bug is at play here? I wonder if it would be covered by the
warranty if it's really a bug in the mobo?

Still, I'm not letting the drive go free. I just tried the original dvd
(from a magazine) that I used when I first installed FC6, and it isn't
detected at all. I might be way off the mark here, but this makes me
think about tracking: Could some kind of system designed to align the
laser to the track on the dvd need adjusting, if at all possible?

It's certainly not easy to locate the faulting part in a complex system,
such as a computer. I really appreciate the help I get from you Scott,
and others.

Frode