FC5 and Vista Dual Boot

Eric Mader emader at icu-project.org
Sun May 6 09:03:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

My system used to be set up w/ XP x64 on hda, FC5 on hdb and Vista x64
on an IDE drive the on-board Promise Fastrack 387 RAID. hda was the boot
drive. I used grub-install to set up a triple boot: grub would either
boot FC5 or the Vista boot loader, which would boot either XP or Vista.
It was a bit lame, but it worked...

I just moved my FC5 drive to hda and installed Vista on a new RAID array
on the Promise controller. I set the array as the boot device. This, of
course, left me with a system that would only boot Vista, so I got out
my trusty FC5 restore CD and chroot'd to the FC5 image and did
"gurb-install /dev/sda" assuming that the array would show up in FC5 as
sda. When I rebooted, all I got on the screen was "GRUB" and the system
hang.

I went back to the restore CD and edited my grub.conf, changing the FC5
entries to hd0 and the Vista bootloader entry to hd2, and ran
grub-install again just for good measure. This didn't change anything.

Now I'm wondering if the problem is that the restore CD doesn't have
drivers for the Promise RAID. When it's starting it says it's loading
drivers for the SATA-Promise RAID. Is this the right driver?

Can someone tell me if the grub can deal with a bootloader on the
Promise raid? If it can, is the array really sda?

If not, can I get away with changing the FC5 drive to the boot drive?

Regards,
Eric Mader