kernel upgrade with yum removed old kernels

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:40:39 UTC 2007

On 5/6/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Martin Marques wrote:
> > I just finished upgrading the kernels in my FC6 with yum and I see this
> > at the end:
> >
> > Removed: kernel.i686 0:2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 kernel.i686 0:2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
> > Installed: kernel.i686 0:2.6.20-1.2948.fc6
> >
> > Now, why did it remove does kernel? Shouldn't it just install the new
> > ones and leave old ones there?
> >

> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/fc5/#id2942737
>
> Rahul

I entered a RFE (request for enhancement) for the installonlyn plugin
asking for the ability to shield/retain specific version of the
kernel. I was shot down. Upon reflection I realized that yum updates
worked fine before installonlyn was developed. In my case there is no
need for it. If I find too many kernels are installed I just remove
those I do not want. So follow the advice of the release notes :

"A yum plugin written by Red Hat developers is provided by default
within the yum package which only retains the latest two kernels in
addition to the one being installed when you perform updates on your
system. This feature can be fine tuned to retain more or less kernels
or disabled entirely through the
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf file."

The phrase "in addition to" is incorrect. It should be "includes". You
get a maximum of two kernels; that is, if you already have two kernels
installed then an update will remove the oldest.

Edit installonlyn.conf and either disable it or change the number of
kernels to keep.