Ideas for yum

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Mon May 7 14:35:20 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Martin Marques wrote:
>> 3) A policy of installation would be good to have, so befor installing
>> a package you know where it comes from, and what installed package
>> will be replaced in case of an upgrade.
>
> Yum does list these information on yum list and yum update.

Not in yum update that I've ever seen; well, the repo is listed, but not
the package being replaced.

For myself, I don't care so much about knowing what package is being
replaced, but I often feel "in the dark" not knowing whether it's a
major version upgrade, a minor version upgrade, a bugfix, a security
patch... what is it?

Maybe I can just add, without seeming ungrateful--I'm very happy with
yum overall, that at first I liked the volume of status output from yum,
the ascii progress meters are sweet ;-). But I very quickly learned that
most of the info provided was stuff I didn't need to know.

Now, I'd rather have less info about yum's operation and more info about
the actual transaction.

<Joe