FC5 and Vista Dual Boot

Eric Mader emader at icu-project.org
Mon May 7 19:14:52 UTC 2007

I finally got this to work!

I'm not sure why it work, though. I used the --recheck option on
grub-install since I'd moved drives around. This built the following
device.map:

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/sda
(hd2) /dev/sdb

I edited all the entries in grub.conf to match this, and nothing worked.
I *was* able to get gurb to come up but with no splash screen. I changed
the reference to the splash screen and all the entries for FC5 to say
"(hd1,0)" and the root for Vista to "(hd0,0)". And everything now works.
I also added a line at the top that says "boot /dev/sda"

These device assignments seem backwards to me, though. Does grub swap
the device assignments around because it is installed on /dev/sda?

Also, looking at /var/log/messages (now that I can boot FC5 again!) it
looks like the FC5 kernel recognizes the two IDE drives attached to the
Promise 378 controller as *separate* drives assigned as sda and sdb even
though they're configured as RAID-0. This means I can't really use the
array in Linux, but all I wanted was to be able to boot from it.

Would FC6 or F7 do a better job of recognizing the array?

Regards,
Eric