scim keyboard problem under fc6

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Tue May 8 01:45:58 UTC 2007

François Patte writes:
> I have a problem with scim keyboard: the default keyboard is
> European/French and whenever I do not use scim for another language,
> there is no problem *but* if I switch on scim to use another input
> language the keyboard falls back to an english keyboard...
>
> example: I use my default French keyboard and when I press the "a" key I
> get the letter "a" on my screen.
>
> Suppose that I switch to hindu keyboard, and select itrans input, when I
> press the "a" key I get a "q" character (in hindi) on my screen.... So,
> if I want the hindi letter "a", I need to press the "q" key of my
> keyboard... If I want the hindi "m" letter, I need to press the "," of
> my keyboard! And so on.
>
> What's wrong? this did not happen uner fc4! I run now fc6.

I think this is a scim-m17n bug.  Though it may not be easy to fix
since the desired behaviour may depend on the map you want to use:
ie perhaps for itrans and phonetic maps one may want to keep "a" on
the A key but for some maps it may be more desirable to preserve the
layout geometry as far as possible rather than the key map.

Some fix a bit related to this went into scim-0.2.1-1.fc6 but it may not
be completely fixed yet.

Please file a bug in bugzilla under scim-m17n and we will try to look
into it in more detail.

Thanks, Jens