dhcp does not work with SiS SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue May 8 14:53:07 UTC 2007

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>

>> Do you have a DHCP server on your LAN?
>>
> Yes.  But it does not seem to work, if I choose dhcp
> the boot process takes longer and it does not pick up
> an ip address.  This also happens on live cd's as well
> and it is not specific to Fedora.

This sounds like your LAN may be configured to only allow specific
MAC addresses to get DHCP leases. If it were a case of the NIC not
working, then setting a static IP address would not work ether.

The other thing you can run into, but is kind of rare, is that the
DHCP server ran out of dynamic IP addresses. There used to be rare
problems where the DHCP server didn't like the DHCP client, but I
have not heard of that in a long time. The Linux clients seam to
work with just about any server.

One thing you may want to do is take a look at the logs to see what
kind of error messages you are getting when you try for a dhcp
connection.

Mikkel