FC6 and AMD64 CPUs?

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue May 8 16:50:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 20:28 -0500, Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 20:23 -0700, Jim Lowman wrote:
> > I have tried, without any luck, installing FC6 on two of my AMD64-based
> > computers.
> I have a Athlon 5400+ on an Asus MB with Nvidia chipsets and it works
> more than well!
>
> Try this iso version:
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/test/6.93/Fedora/x86_64/iso/F-6.93-x86_64-DVD.iso
>
> It's the one i'm using.
> >
> > Computer #1 is an HP m7640n that is a few months old.  It has a
> > dual-core AMD64 X2 5000+ CPU, and an nVidia GeForce 6150 LE display adapter.
> >
> > Computer #2 is one that I assembled, with an AMD64 4200+ CPU, and an
> > nVidia display adapter.  This box has FC4 on it, with no new hardware
> > installed since that install.
> >
> > The install (AMD 64-bit version) stops dead after identifying the video
> > card, in both cases. The "X" comes up and that's it.
> >
> > Someone mentioned furnishing parameters when installing on a box with an
> > AMD64 CPU, but I can't seem to locate them.
> >
> > I'm about to pull my hair out, what little there is on top.  Any help
> > will be gratefully appreciated.

I'm running FC6 x86_64 on an AMD64 X2 5800/Abit mobo, an Opteron
1210/Gigabyte mobo, an HP Pavillion ZV600-series laptop (Athlon64) and
an Athlon64 X2 5800/EVGA mobo (made by Shuttle), all with no problems.
Most have nVidia chipsets, but the laptop has ATI (no 3D graphics).

The boot options you may need are "noacpi", "noapic" or "noapmd" (or
some combination of two or three of them).  Personally, I've not needed
any, but I may have been just lucky.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -