dhcp does not work with SiS SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue May 8 18:04:32 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Have you tried running "dhclient eth0" from the command line (assuming
> eth0 is your wireless card) and watched its output?  That may give you
> some better ideas as to what's going on.  You should also have a look
> at the DHCP server's logs.

I don't think we are talking about a wireless connection here. The
card in the subject line (SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet) looks like a
wired card to me...

> My guess is that you really don't have the MAC address of the machine
> registered with the DHCP server (it's easy to make a mistake with six
> hex octets) or that your iptables is blocking it.  DHCP uses UDP port 68
> (sometimes TCP port 68), so make sure iptables isn't blocking it
> (iptables is started before the network interfaces are brought up).  If
> you need some rules for iptables to allow DHCP, here they are:
>
> 	-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
> 	-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 68 -j ACCEPT
>
> Stick them somewhere appropriate in your /etc/sysconfig/iptables file
> and restart iptables.

Because it works with a static IP, but not with DHCP, I suspect you
are correct about a mistake entering the MAC address, or the DHCP
server has not been "informed" of the added MAC address. I have been
bitten a time or two by forgetting to inform a daemon about a config
file change. (OR even worse, forgetting to update the serial number
on a zone file...)

Mikkel