Ideas for yum

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed May 9 05:21:12 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 13:34 -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> Ric Moore escribió:
> > On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 09:00 -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> >> When I first used yum, FC1, it did lots of things I really didn't like,
> >> being the worst the download of all the repo metadata each time yum was
> >> executed. Very bad behavior.
> >>
> >> At that time I started using smart which was quite promising but now I
> >> see it as a real hog. Don't know if it's due to smart, rpm or the rpm
> >> meta data structure (XML parsing can be quite resource consuming).
> [snip]
> >
> > Smart package manager has all of those features and runs a LOT faster,
> > IMHO. You might want to give it a whirl. Ric
>
> I was using smart till 2 days ago. And it's not faster then yum. That's
> for sure.

When you can use the search/find function of smart, which works in the
blink of an eye and a bazzanium times faster than yum to select the
packages to administer, it's only the download time that is relatively
the same, although I think it faster, IMHO. I've mastered it to the
point of being completely free of the discussions on how to find a
package using yum.

The only thing I don't like about smart is it's propensity to dnload
multiple packages at once, which will leave packages stalled in the
process. I've love to know how to cure that so that it never dnloads
more than 2-3 files at once. Ric