New Dell Inspiron 9400: From Vista to Fedora/Vista.

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed May 9 10:43:32 UTC 2007

Les wrote:
> Hi, Jim,
>     I use LVM for my home disk.  I chose it intentionally because it
> will allow me to modify and add space to the directory or even add disks
> should that become desirable.  As my interests are AI, 3d graphics ,
> photos and other graphics, space is the one really big driver for me.  I
> am therefore quite curious why you don't recommend LVM for /home?
>
> Regards,
> Les H

I don't want my data stuck within a medium which is not easily
accessible. With LVM, I had an older installation that was all within an
LVM. I recovered information after some work from the LVM. It was a lot
tougher than simply mounting the /home partition though. On the other
hand, I don't care much if I loose the application and configuration
data since most suggest wiping out everything system related and
maintaining /home. I guess it is a personal choice whether to want to
deal with LVM. I do label the LVM volumes uniquely instead of allowing
the auto partitioning that the installer uses.

For the Vista volume. I believe the best setup would be for /dev/sda1 as
a rescue partition, /dev/sda2 as the Vista restore partition, /dev/sda3
as the Vista OS partition and the rest of the volume as /dev/sda4
extended. Once that was setup, adding /dev/sda5 as a boot partition and
then making /dev/sda6 as an LVM with all of the other swap and
filesystam types within the LVM. Personally, I would still make a home
partition as /dev/sda5 and then use the rest of the disk as /dev/sda6
within an LVM. LVM is great if you are comfortable managing the volumes.
I still am not too familiar with Physical Volume and Logical volumes
using lvm2.

Jim

--
"We all agree on the necessity of compromise.  We just can't agree on
when it's necessary to compromise."