Website woes

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Wed May 9 18:40:40 UTC 2007

At 12:03 PM -0400 5/9/07, George Hare wrote:
>I have been struggling for 1 &1/2 weeks, hours and hours at a time only to
>find out
>late last night that Go-Daddy is No GoDaddy when it comes to linux. I know
>I told them 7 or 8 times
>what I was running. I couldn't believe it when the rep said, "Oh, we don't
>support linux." while he's eating
>an apple or something. What a bunch
>of__________________________________________! Can anyone reccomend
>some place's that aren't afraid of linux. I'd appreciate it and would love
>to start getting this website up.

GoDaddy supplies Linux and MSWindows hosting on Shared Hosting Servers and
on Virtuozzo Virtual Private Servers, as well as on Dedicated Servers.
Support costs money, $50 per half-hour IIRC, which is a reasonable rate.
Their service appears to be on par with where I have my personal web site,
that is, low and requires repetition.  It was not adequate for our VPS
needs (can't have an iptables firewall), so we have looked elsewhere.

Currently we are exploring Xen Virtual Private Servers.  There are fewer
Xen hosting providers than Virtuozzo providers, as Virtuozzo is a complete
turnkey solution for a hosting provider and allows for much greater
over-selling of servers than Xen does.  Google on "xen hosting providers".
Costs are about $20..$60 / month.

I don't actually know what you are trying to do for web hosting.  My
personal web site was developed on MacOS 8.6 and is hosted on Linux via
Shared Hosting.  The other web site I test locally on Fedora Core 6 Linux,
or on CentOS 4.4 running in Qemu (which can be accessed remotely for
testing).  It is currently hosted on a rather hosed Redhat 7.2 Linux hosted
via Virtuozzo, and is being moved to Xen hosting.  I learned enough about
HTML and web hosting to get my personal web site up in just a couple of
months; it's taken over a year of learning Linux and several months of
intense work to be able to move the other web site.