Fedora7 or Fedora ?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed May 9 20:28:37 UTC 2007

Wade Hampton wrote:
> Updates don't always work and you are often left with broken things.
> See my previous posts about taking 20+ hours to update my FC5 laptop
> to FC6 and over 10 hours to update my FC5 desktop to FC6.  Maybe we do
> need a just plain "fedora" branch that gets updates and enhancements
> so one could just keep on doing yum updates to get the
> latest/greatest....

This could also solve the problem of people running older versions when
support drops.  ie FC4

This has been discussed in the past about the issues when major changes
occur and how hard it is to upgrade/update.  Some of these issues may be
resolvable with crossover packages but that just creates more work for
those involved.

I am watching the issues being raised with the move to the SCSI base for
IDE drives as one example.  Changes to Gcc in the past caused enough
problems.

I for one would love a constant update/upgrade path.  But until that
happens, I prefer a clean install as it takes less time and causes less
headaches.  I am just waiting for FC7 to come out to get rid of my FC4
systems.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.