Grub problem

Tod tod at stthomasepc.org
Thu May 10 00:19:54 UTC 2007

Frank Tanner III wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 16:49 -0400, Tod wrote:
>> Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> I'd be checking every crontab I can find for the reboot issue.  I'd also
>>> be checking the machine for rootkits and other malware.  This sounds
>>> like the machine's "owned" by a hacker.
>>>
>> I did and found nothing, very frustrating.  Any ideas on what to look
>> for that I may have missed?
>>
>> I'm going to do a clamscan tonight to see if that turns up anything.
>>

> How is the power in the room where the machine is located?  Is it
> possible that there is a brown-out condition causing it?  How about the
> possibility that someone is un-plugging the machine temporarily?

It is supposed to be fine, we discussed that possibility too.  I also
suggested the possibility that someone might be playing with him as a joke.

I also thought that maybe the power supply was bad or we had a bad
memory stick but the consistency of the reboot kind of ruled that out.

> As funny as this sounds, we had a cleaning person that was unplugging a
> server from a PDU to plug in his fricken buffer when he came through to
> buff the hall-way outside of the server room.  We chased our tails for
> MONTHS trying to figure out the cause, until one of our junior
> sys-admins had to stay late one night to work on an unrelated issue.
> Needless to say we had a few harsh words for the manager of the cleaning
> crew.

What a pain.  Luckily this isn't a high availability production box or
I'd really be pulling my hair out.

I just spoke to my contact and the keyboardless operation was the cause
of the grub hanging problem.  He plugged in the keyboard, init 6, and
everything came up fine.  I was sure if that was the issue the BIOS
would have complained but I've been wrong before.

Thanks - Tod