vlc audio issues

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu May 10 12:39:14 UTC 2007

I use VLC (vlc-0.8.4a-1.lvn5) as my main video player on FC5. I've had
lots of issues with the audio. If I play a video and try to jump ahead,
most time the the audio gets choppy, like static. I can reset it by
disabling and re-enabling the audio, but that's a pain.

Today I'm playing a file and the audio fails without doing anything
except playing it. I can play the same video, an avi file, with xine and
it handles the audio without a hitch. I'm running vlc in a terminal
window and in this case there aren't any audio errors or anything.
Usually I see broken pipes and stuff like that. I've tried messing with
the audio preferences but nothing seems to help.

Anyone experienced this with vlc or have any suggestions on how to
handle it?

Thanks,
James