Printer lockup (FC4)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 10 15:13:26 UTC 2007

On Thursday 10 May 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 10:11 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Have you tried lprm to remove the print file from the printer's queue?
> >
> > I'd removed the print job,  no problem with that, but the printer
> > remains 'stopped' and cannot be re-started, because root doesn't have the
> > permission to do that!
>
> Here is an abstract from the man lpadmin page. Maybe that info is
> relevant to your problem.
>
>  -E
>             Enables the printer and accepts jobs; this is the same as
> running
>             the accept(8) or cupsaccept(8) and enable(8) or
> cupsenable(8) programs on the printer.

So, working as root, on the server:

lpadmin [ -E ] [ -h server ] -p printer option(s)

lpadmin -E -p Photo
lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor

and trying it on the local box:

lpadmin -E -h borg.lydgate.lan -p Photo
lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor

Ideas?

Anne