Printer lockup (FC4)

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Thu May 10 17:39:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 16:13 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Thursday 10 May 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > I'd removed the print job,  no problem with that, but the printer
> > > remains 'stopped' and cannot be re-started, because root doesn't have the
> > > permission to do that!
> >
> > Here is an abstract from the man lpadmin page. Maybe that info is
> > relevant to your problem.
> >
> >  -E
> >             Enables the printer and accepts jobs; this is the same as
> > running
> >             the accept(8) or cupsaccept(8) and enable(8) or
> > cupsenable(8) programs on the printer.
> >
> So, working as root, on the server:
>
> lpadmin [ -E ] [ -h server ] -p printer option(s)
>
> lpadmin -E -p Photo
> lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor
>
> and trying it on the local box:
>
> lpadmin -E -h borg.lydgate.lan -p Photo
> lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Bad file descriptor
>
> Ideas?
>
> Anne

Hi, Anne,
    This happened to me after an update.  I had to delete and recreate
the printer to get it working again, and even then I had to reboot to
make it start working...

    Who knows.  I got no useful messages from the logs other that
messages about the bad file descriptor like you have here.  I suspect
that a change in CUPS
forced a modification to the file descriptor that CUPS uses to identify
the printer, but the update never updated the description file.
Deleting and recreating the printer entry did.

    I don't even know where the printer descriptions are held, and never
thought to look.

Regards,
Les H