Virtualization

Michael Kohne mhkohne at kohne.org
Thu May 10 17:49:46 UTC 2007

Look at VMWare. The VMWare server product is free at the moment and
allows you to setup as many VMs as you want. It allows the VM to have
access to network resources through a sort of 'virtual NIC' concept
which has worked well for me - it even lets the VM get it's own IP on
the network, even going so far as to allow the VM to do DHCP and get
an address that way. It should work no matter what the underlying
network truly is. (Note that the VM doesn't actually have control of
the network card - windows does, and VMWare does stuff underneath to
make it all look right to the VM).

VMWare also lets the VM get to the CD or DVD-rom drive, or lets you
pretend an iso is a real disc.

I've got older versions of FC and I've got the latest Ubuntu setup
under the current VMWare and they all work fine. There's no reason to
suspect that FC7 wouldn't work great.