Installing ATI drivers

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu May 10 22:16:41 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen writes:

> Taking the hardware I have, is there a 'prefered' way to enable 3D so
> that I can use Google Earth? (Radeon X1400) I'll gladly do as
> recommended.

A "prefered" way is only possible when you have multiple alternative.
Unfortunately, you don't, so there is no "prefered" way.

Or, as I'm reminded after watching the History Channel recently, this is the
same "prefered" approach one would have in choosing the color of their brand
new Ford Model T.

> That's not ironic. That's the reason my next video card will be Intel.
> Unless ATI starts providing hardware specs for FOSS drivers.

Been there, done that.  Not with ATI, that is, but I've been there.

Your best chance of getting help with ATI's drivers would be with whatever
support mechanism ATI offers -- mailing lists, or web forums, or something
along the lines.  ATI's hardware is not that popular to start with, so you
need to look wherever you'll find a higher-than-average concentration of
people in the same boat that you are.