gsynaptics

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu May 10 23:59:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:

>    Dear friends,
>
> I installed gsynaptics on my Dell Latitude D820 laptop running
> Fedora 7 Test 4 because I was advised this would help with phantom
> mouse clicks. When I try to run gsynaptics, a dialog says
>
> GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
> You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use
> GSynaptics
>
> At the same time, the console says:
>
> (gsynaptics:7460): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
> Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
> specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
>
> I have no XF86Config file, but I have /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but adding
> above entry does not seem to help.

Where did you put it?

My touchpad section is:

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Synaptics"
         Driver      "synaptics"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
         Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

You'll need to restart X (log out and back in) after making the change.

> What should I do? And what exactly is gsynaptics supposed to do?

It's a config tool for Synaptics touchpads, also menu accessible as System
-> Preferences -> More Preferences -> Touchpad.  Among other things, it
allows you to turn off tapping.

If you like tapping, but not accidental tapping, you might look at
syndaemon (in the synaptics RPM).

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences