Upgrading Red Hat 9 to Core 1--where's the software?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Fri May 11 03:32:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 01:57:59PM -0400, Dwight Johnson wrote:
> I've got my shaisums lined up now and have begun the install. Just as
> I start loading packages, I get this error:
>
> "The file mgetty-1.1.33-9.fc6.i386.rpm cannot be opened. This is due
> to a missing file or perhaps a corrupt package. Please verify your
> installation images and that you have all the required media."

This suggests a bad CD burn. Things to try before installing:

* Check the contents using the burn machine. It is not sufficient to
  simply compare the CD with the ISO image ("diff /dev/cdrom
  image.iso"), as some burning programs modify the image as it writes
  it. Instead, mount the CD and the image (the latter using the
  loopback option) and diff their contents:

  diff --brief -r /media/cdrom image

  where image is the mount point of the image, something like:

  mount image.iso foo -o loop

* Check the media using Anaconda (the installer) on the target
  computer. A CD may be good on the machine that burns it but bad on
  another (especially older drives).