gaming notebook recommendations?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri May 11 15:15:32 UTC 2007

Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Em Sex 11 Mai 2007, Jim van Wel escreveu:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> But then you can fallback on the older binary code? But you are right, they
>> drop some older hardware. But then again, what is the best than for
>> laptops? Ati? Intel? You tell me ;).
>
> ATI has the same problems as nvidia, but their drivers are considerably worst,
> in my opinion. I find that even their windows drivers are problematic.
> I, for one, stand with the intel video chipsets if I'm going to buy a
> notebook. I'm satisfied with the hardware and the drivers, but I'm not a
> gamer. nvidia 3D performance is of course much better, but then you have to
> live with the proprietary drivers. I don't consider using ATI with Linux, but
> that's just me.
>
> []'s
> Marcelo
>

>> Greetings
>> Jim.

>>> … today.  What's going to happen tomorrow, is anyone's guess.  In case
>>> you're not aware of it, Nvidia's current binary blob does not support
>>> some of their older hardware.  Whenever Nvidia decides that you should
>>> buy their
>>> new hardware, they'll just stop supporting your model.  They have done it
>>> before, they'll do it again.  Then, the next time there is a
>>> significantly-enough kernel ABI chance that their shim stub can't deal
>>> with,
>>> you're boned.
>>>
>>> When that happens, and you (not you specifically, just saying this in
>>> general) come shedding tears, it won't be easy for me to feel any
>>> sympathy for you.
>>>

>>> --

I have a Toshiba laptop and it is great for games, even in 3D.  Nvidia
graphics chip in it.  No issues but it is a few years old.

I had ATI on a new desktop and never go 3D running.  Changed the video
to nVidia and was up and running in 3D in minutes.

Intel provides drivers for Linux but I don't know how good there chips are.

ATI is announcing that they have to fix their OSS drivers.

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/10/1424224&from=rss

My biggest issue has been getting the DVD to work properly as there were
no BIOS settings to change and I had to play with the grub/module
settings to get it to work properly.

Now after a year, I have to play with the wireless to keep the wife
happy. :)
--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.