How to mount floppy?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri May 11 17:57:35 UTC 2007

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
> Can someone tell me why I can't mount a Windows floppy containing a
> WordPerfect .wpd file on this FC6 computer?
>
> mount  /dev/fd0
> mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> so I tried mount -t vfat /dev/fd0
>
> but that doesn't work!
>
> I put the following in /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    defaults,noauto 0 0
>
> which may not be correct?  I tried to follow what I see in a Centos4.4
> box that does read the floppy directory, but messed around with the
> default,noauto.
>
> I feel like a rat in a maze after spending the whole morning trying to
> retrieve the file from an old doggy Windows 98 computer that must have
> crashed twenty times and refuses to recognize a mouse.  Windows without
> a mouse is a real exercise, for me anyway!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Goodwin

Dumb question - do you have a /media/floppy directory? The mound
command will not create one for you, and will fail if it is not there.

I also tend to put avoid creating manual mount points in /media. I
tent to use /mnt for that. This is because HAL used /media for
temporary mount points, and I do not want a conflict. But this is a
personal preference, and not a requirement.

There are a few ways you can access the floppy. One if to use
mtools. It does not mount the floppy, but it lets you see the files
on the disk, copy them, delete them, etc...

If you do not have an entry in /etc/fstab, then you can use
gnome-mount. "gnome-mount -d /dev/fd0" This will create a mount
point in /media for you, and mount the floppy.

You can also use the mount command - something like this:

mkdir  /mnt/floppy
mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Skip the mkdir command if you already have the mount point.

Mikkel