ipv6 tunnel interfaces at boot

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Fri May 11 19:04:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 15:16 -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Thanks.  That's weird because it is essentially what I have.  The
> networking script tries to bring up the sit1 interface, but gets an
> ioctl error (no such interface).  After the machine boots I can do an
> "ifup sit1" by hand, which then works without errors.
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sit1:
> DEVICE=sit1
> BOOTPROTO=none
> ONBOOT=yes
> IPV6INIT=yes
> IPV6TUNNELIPV4=208.201.XXX.XXX          # XXX == redacted
> IPV6TUNNELIPV4LOCAL=64.142.50.224
> IPV6ADDR=2001:05a8:0004:07d2::1/64
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network:
> NETWORKING=yes
> NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
> HOSTNAME=arbol.wsrcc.com
> IPV6_ROUTER=yes
> IPV6FORWARDING=yes
> IPV6_DEFAULTDEV=sit1

It appears that the ipv6 module is not available at time of activation
of the interface. I cannot reboot the machine to check where exactly in
the boot sequence the interfaces are brought up.
Try re-creating your initrd after having brought up the sit device. It
could be that some kernel module(s) need to be added to the initrd

Louis