firefox CLI new window

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat May 12 04:33:01 UTC 2007

On 11May2007 19:57, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
| On 5/11/07, Tony Crouch <acrouch2 at une.edu.au> wrote:
| >I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to open a new firefox window
| >when you already have one instance of the window already open.
| >For example, I may have a firefox window already open in Gnome window 1.
| >I then move to Gnome window 2, open a terminal window and type:
| >  firefox `pwd`/fav_html_file.html
| >to open a desired html file.
| >However, firefox does not open a "new" window. It just opens a new "tab"
| >in the original Gnome window 1 instance of firefox.
|
| OK, obligatory question: Did you try File->New Window ?

Obligatory answer: that's not using the command line. He's probably
testing the innards of some script automation.

The usual command line tool is mozilla-xremote-client (or
firefox-xremote-client). You go:
  mozilla-xremote-client "openurl($url,new-tab)"
or
  mozilla-xremote-client "openurl($url,new-window)"
where $url contains the desired URL.

Plain "firefox" is actually a wrapper script with all sorts of inner logic;
stay far far away from it!

It is possible to configure the browser to not honour the "new-window",
but with the default configuration those two incantations do what you
want. I do it all the time.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Clymer's photographs of this procedure show a very clean head. This is a lie.
There is oil in here, and lots of it. - Mike Mitten, rec.moto, 29sep1993