Intel Pro Wireless 3945

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat May 12 19:21:27 UTC 2007

Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>   I am writing this in great distress.

First, like some great advice I found in a beer brewing book ages ago,
"Relax.  Have a homebrew." :)

> I have now been trying for weeks to get my Intel Pro Wireless 3945
> working on my Dell Latitude 820 under Fedora. I tried Fedora Cora 6
> and Fedora 7 Test 4.

At the moment, my impression is that you're much more likely to have
success with FC6 and the ipw3945 driver -- even though you have to
build that yourself or use a 3rd party repo to do it.

The driver included with F7T4 is the newer iwlwifi (now iwl3945).
While this driver will hopefully end up in the upstream kernel
eventually, it still has some bugs to be worked out of it before that
happens (judging from the reports on fedora-devel).

> I really need my wireless and this is becoming a personal disaster
> for me. I have spent many hours.

I can understand your frustration.  Lack of a network connection
sucks.  It took me a while to get things working when I first got my
Dell E1705 with a 3945 card in it.  But I've had it working with FC4,
5, and 6 quite reliably at home and while I'm out and about.  So I
know that it is possible.

> I have written various messages to this forum. Some replies I got
> said it is simple and gave instructions, but the instructions did
> not make it work.

To be of further help to you, you'll have to share with us the steps
you took and what errors you had when you took them.  If I could read
minds, I'd be too busy to help out on any mailing lists. ;)

I don't know what state your system is in, but if you're still in the
testing phases with it, perhaps a clean install of FC6 would be a good
start to ensure that there aren't problems caused by previous attempts
to set things up.

> Yesterday, there was an update available regarding ieee-whatever.

You mean ieee80211 from atrpms I assume?

> Since then, NetworkManager actually asks me for a network key, which
> is progress, but it still can not connect.

What sort of network encryption are you using?  WEP?  WPA?  WPA2?

Take a look in /var/log/messages for any obvious failure messages.
That's where the NetworkManager service puts its logs.

> And while trying, I can not help but think: If NetworkManager was a
> well-written piece of software, it would give me the option of
> actually saving the network key, and reviewing it.

There is a "show password" checkbox when connecting to a network that
will show you the password.  After that, you can view the password in
the gnome-keyring, using gnome-keyring-manager (Applications -> System
Tools -> Keyring Manager).

If barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Jack Handy