Intel Pro Wireless 3945

Todd Simi tsimi at speakeasy.net
Sat May 12 20:58:08 UTC 2007

Hi Oliver,

I have this card running on my Lenovo T60.  It took awhile and is not
completely integrated into Linux, but it works.

Their is a .rpm for it and its utilities int the ATrpms repository, so
if you add this to your yum repo directory you can install it, or you
can go directly to their website.  You don't need to muck around with
ieee802 stuff, the one in Fedora 6 works fine.

The things I find not to work are:

I've needed a script to load it. Using network manager hasn't been able
to do anything with it until I've loaded it manually. But, I've still
needed network manager to activate it.

Theirs no graphic interface that I've been able to find to configure
which Access Point to attach to when theirs more than one.  You have to
do an "iwlist scan" to find the local access points, and then do a
"iwconfig eth0 essid NameOfAP".  I've written a separate script for each
place I go regularly.  I'm not much a a script programer, I'm sure some
one could write an interactive one to ask for the couple of items that
need to be set manually.

The driver also does not seem to be able to automatically select the
channel of the access point you choose.  I've had to do the iwlist scan
to find out the channel and then for example to the channel is 1, do a
"iwconfig eth0 channel 1".

Also, the script doesn't always work at one of the locations I use the
first time.  But, I think their network is just really slow at giving me
and IP, DNS and gateway.

I'll place one of my scripts below,

Good luck
Todd

#!/bin/bash
cd /sbin                      <- this where I put the script
load debug=0x43fff            <- loads the driver better than the
				   includes scripts
sleep 3                       <- seems to need this sometimes
modprobe iwp3945 associate=1  <- wont attach to an AP on it's own
sleep 2
iwconfig eth0 essid <you access point name>
sleep 2
iwconfig eth0 key <your encription key in het iy you use one>
sleep 2
iwconfig eth0 channel <channel your access point uses>

The you need to go into network manager and activate it.