OT: hardware problems

John john at johnsdesign.net
Sun May 13 17:41:59 UTC 2007

Peter Gordon wrote:
> John,
>
> Please remember that discussion via this list is text-only. However,
> text and its content are only a very small portion of what communication
> is as a whole. As such, a text-based medium such as email can be
> difficult at times to interpret when there is a lot of emotion involved,
> especially anger and/or frustration, as it lacks the body language,
> vocal intonation, and other cues that one would normally use to fully
> understand a message being told to them. Therefore, one's word choice is
> all that he or she has available to them in this medium to properly
> express their opinion or issues as wanted. It is from this word choice
> that we, the readers, must guess your cues to fully understand and
> appropriately interpret your text.
>
> We are a community - we want the community spirit to grow and spread. We
> want people to learn the benefits of Free software. Rest assured that,
> though it may be troublesome at first, we will do our best to guide you
> through those troubles as we are able. This great community is one of
> the most powerful aspects of the information freedoms we've been given
> with GNU/Linux, and it can aide you significantly...if you let it.

  I love working with Linux in general; but there's times when it
reminds me more of Win95 than anything else... Yes- very frustrating! I
agree with what you've said above- it wasn't my intention to make it
sound like I was bashing (the guy who replied back late Sat. nite took
that I was). I've been working with PC's for about 8yrs, all self
taught; I fail to see why one has to dig through 2,3,4 or more folders
to change a , or a digit to make drive work... More on this below.
 People that know me, tend to bring their PC's to me; I'd just as soon
move people off of Windows and into some flavor of Linux. I just have a
hard time justifying it, when two pieces of hardware disappear with
kernel updates (or what have you). Also, everyone has seen those emails
of newbies wanting off the list, and all the 3rd grade answers posted to
the list. Is that the treatment that we want for our friends, coworkers
and family? I don't mince words-- I have the paperwork in my personnel
file at work to prove it too.... ;)  If I think something blows or a bad
decision was made. I /will/ say something.
> Now on to the content of your message:
>
> On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 22:26 -0500, John wrote:
>
>> I'd rather go back to Windows 100% and deal with its security problems
>> than have to *waste *my time troubleshooting my FC builds.
>>

> If you'd prefer tried and proven solutions, I recommend Red Hat's
> Enterprise Linux ("RHEL") or one of its no-cost clones such as the
> Community Enterprise OS ("CentOS"). This will give you the benefit of
> known-stable and -tested software, and (with Red Hat's paid support)
> guaranteed support via Service Level Agreements ("SLAs") and whatnot.

Tried CentOS; I thought it was okay, though kinda limited with what I
(personally) need in an OS.

>>  Two outta three FC boxes (here) have
>> 'misplaced' the floppy and cd drives. I know the cd drive was working
>> when I switched over to KDE from Gnome; now its MIA with KDE too.
>>

> When you say "misplaced," what, specifically, are you referring to? Are
> the icons just not showing up? Are they the wrong icons? Are they not
> responding to any option when you click them?
>
> We can only know as much about your problem as you are willing to tell
> us. Generally speaking, more verbose information that you can give the
> community about your issue will help us help you solve or workaround it.
> (We're not telepathic, no matter how awesome that would be. :P)

I posted a few days ago about not being able to access my floppy drive;
sounds like I'll have to do what I did with FC5. The cd drive couldn't
be accessed through Gnome(I could when the box was first built), but
could be though KDE (why??) Now, the drive can't be accessed through
Gnome or KDE; I tried booting into a previous kernel with no luck. Right
now, I'm using 3.5.6-0.3.fc6 for KDE and 2.6.20-1.2948.fc6 for the kernel.
>> This box, can't even find my scanner-- jeez, I can go to the HP site
>> and get the scanner software for Win95 to Vista.
>>

> In the vast majority of cases, GNU/Linux drivers for hardware are
> maintained by distribution vendors and/or as part of the standard
> upstream packages that these distribution vendors use for their basis.
> More often than not, as Windows' drivers will show,
> manufacturer-produced drivers can be quite buggy, unstable, and/or
> insecure.

I ran the Win program through Wine, just for giggles... No dice- the exe
wouldn't even think about installing.
> What make/model scanner do you have? Which scanning software have you
> used? Have you tried HP's tools from the hplip/hpijs packages? Does it
> show any specific error message?

Didn't know about this. Will try at some point. Its a 7400c ScanJet. I
have a Microtek scanner here too- had to plug that into a Win box... I
orig had the HP scanner plugged into the FC6 laptop, and it ran well;
Anne and I posted emails on the list.

>>   How screwed up is Fedora 7 going to be??
>>

> The merger has brought some hardships along with Development's usual
> slight-breakage, but those should be quickly resolved. Instead of
> blaming Linux or Fedora for malfunctioning and simply giving up, we ask
> that you please rephrase your issues in a more polite tone. If we can
> help you solve these problems, then that means that we've potentially
> helped a great deal many people around the world who may have similar
> troubles. Perhaps these issues could also be fixed in their respective
> packages, which would make them work much nicer by default with the next
> update or for new users who install them.
>
> As someone who's been running the Development tree since about the
> F7-Test2 timeframe, I can vouch that it will be quite impressive.
> Indeed, it will have its bugs, though, as any piece of software does;
> but we as a community will continue to improve upon the software and
> squash those bugs as we find them.
>
> Thanks for your time and patience.

  I saw that 7 will be out in a couple of days; I am (actually)
interested in seeing what's up.