Moving "/" what are the chances of this working?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon May 14 13:55:21 UTC 2007

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>  On 14/05/07, Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:
>> GNU parted can extend ext2 and ext3 partitions (among others).  So you
>> could expand the current root partition to use the 10GB one after it.
>
>  As an aside, note that gparted is only a "yum install gparted" away,
>  and is a gui front end to these utilities.

I've never used gparted, but anything that makes partition changes
easier is good.  Am I mistaken though that if you're resizing /, you
can't use software that's installed on the same partition as / is?
You'd need to boot from a rescue disc or something - which could
contain just parted or gparted as well.

>> But perhaps you're using LVM.  I don't think that parted can handle
>> that (might be worth checking though, I haven't looked in a while).
>>

>  http://www.redhat.com/magazine/009jul05/features/lvm2/
>
>  is a good intro.

Thanks for the link.  I should have added that if Reg is using LVM,
then expanding / is definitely easier than moving it. :-)

The gods are too fond of a joke.
    -- Aristotle (384-322 BC)