Moving "/" what are the chances of this working?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon May 14 15:47:49 UTC 2007

clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> I have just run out of space on a 10GB root file system for Fedora6
> (my /home and /usr/local are on separate partitions).
>
> I have decided that in the future I will allocate 20GB partitions
> for Fedura (sigh)... I can remember when it fit in 5GB,
> HELL I can remember when all of UNIX fit on a 5MB disk on a
> PDP-11...
>
> OK, so here is my question.
> I have a unused 10GB partition just ahead and just behind the
> Fedora6 partition.  But I know of no Partition-Magic like process
> that could combine them.  IS THERE ANYTHING I dont know
> about????
>
> 2nd choice.
> I have a couple of 10GB partitions elsewhere on the disk (that I
> was saving for updates to Fedora).  I am willing to combine them,
> giving a 20GB partition.  If I were to do that, format the new partition,
> and then tar->tar the current Fedora partition into the new partition,
> what are the chances that I will be able to BOOT the new partition???
>
> ANYTHING you can suggest to get either of these schemes to go.

Before you think of resizing /, make sure that you don't have some
big files in /tmp, and check that logrotate is running, so that you
do not have large log files. If you have done a lot of printing, you
may need to clean out the old spool files as well. I believe the
default CUPS setting is to keep them.

Mikkel