FC4 installaion bogged up WINXP

Deboo ^ knowledgeful at gmail.com
Mon May 14 19:21:27 UTC 2007

Can't copy/paste it right now but it's a simple debian's default grub having
a debian section containing
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-4 root=/dev/hda5
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-4

And a windows section:
root (hd0,1)
savedefault
chainloader +1

That's all. I remember it since I tried many times to boot.

I tried using fixboot using winxp ercovery console but didn't help. I
tried the install-mbr command which is similar to fdisk /mbr but that
didn't work as well. hal.dll still is reported to be missing by XP.
Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Deboo

On 5/14/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 13:58 +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> > I reinstalled FC4 thinking to do a clean text based install and to try
> > to solve yum problem and report anything here.
> >
> > I already have debian installed with WinXP as dual boot. I installed
> > fedora but did not let it install grub when asked. When I got the
> > normal grub menu after install, I manually put in the parameters for
> > root, kernel and initrd to boot in to FC4 and it booted fine.
> >
> > Booting debian also works fine but now when booting XP, it gives an
> > error saying HAL.dll is corrupted and to resinstall the OS. Now what
> > did fedora change to make this happen? Is there a solution to this? I
> > just had reinstalled XP a few days ago and don't want to go in to
> > reinstalling everything again.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Deboo
> What does your grub.conf look like?
> --

Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.