flash drive mounted under root

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue May 15 08:12:38 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Michael A Peters wrote:
>Don't boot with them mounted.
>
>On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 22:37 -0400, oleksandr korneta wrote:
>> I'm not sure when this began, but I just discovered that all my usb
>> storage devices are mounted in a way that root appears to be the owner
>> of all the files. Now I can't  write anything to my flash drive, unless
>> I open the root console. I'm sure It wasn't like this before, and I
>> suspect it happened after one of the updates. Is there a way to fix this
>> manually?
>>
>> this is FC6 here.

It doesn't seem to make any difference, just 2 days ago I got the message that
only root can mount while working on something I needed to take back to a
user account on another machine.  So I become root, mounted the sonofabitch,
and then chown -R user:user it back to the user that needed it mounted in the
first place.  Then found that user still couldn't write to the device because
that user on the ubuntu box it came from was uid 1000, where he was uid 500
on this box.  So an hour's walking back and forth between buildings later, I
get samba working well enough to mount that whole machine as a share on this
box, with root running samba, then root launched krusader could copy things
both ways, while apparently translating the uid's.  But I never was able to
smbclient -L and see the [home] share I setup in the smb.conf out there.
That's all I really wanted, but somebody decided that wasn't supposed to
work.

Ditto for umount, even though the user owns everything on that usb keychain
gizmo, "only root can umount"  That is BS to me, and we spread it on
cornfields to grow 120 bushels to the acre where I come from.

To TPTB:  If you want us to use our machines as normal users, then let normal
users USE the everyday tools we need to get our projects done.  YOUR idea of
security seems to be to harrass the hapless user trying to do a job, and make
him spend an hour or more doing what should have been a 5 second file move, 5
seconds assuming he was a slow typer.

Until such time, then be aware that I run everything as root here unless a
specific projet requires otherwise.  And selinux is turned off for exactly
the same reason.  This is after all, my machine, and if I want to have it do
something its capable of, then get the hell out of the way and let me get it
done.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)