flash drive mounted under root

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Tue May 15 09:10:32 UTC 2007

At 09:12 15/05/2007, you wrote:

>On Tuesday 15 May 2007, Michael A Peters wrote:
> >Don't boot with them mounted.
> >
> >On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 22:37 -0400, oleksandr korneta wrote:
> >> I'm not sure when this began, but I just discovered that all my usb
> >> storage devices are mounted in a way that root appears to be the owner
> >> of all the files. Now I can't  write anything to my flash drive, unless
> >> I open the root console. I'm sure It wasn't like this before, and I
> >> suspect it happened after one of the updates. Is there a way to fix this
> >> manually?
> >>
> >> this is FC6 here.
>
>It doesn't seem to make any difference, just 2 days ago I got the
>message that
>only root can mount while working on something I needed to take back to a

Gene,

You might have seen my thread from a couple of days ago. There was an
update to FC5. Following that there's a load of errors during boot. I
offered to post my log file but nobody has so far expressed any
interest in examining it, and now my USB flash drives don't mount.
I've put my son under strict instructions NOT to update his FC5
machine, otherwise I won't be able to write a backup to flash after
rsync-ing it over the network to his PC.

I'm at work right now. The action I just took with my office desktop
was to run QTParted to remove the FC5 partitions from this machine,
then run the Dapper Drake installer. I've just selected the old XP
install from the new grub setup to make sure it still works as before
(it does) and in a minute I'm going to try out the new Kubuntu
install, see if I can get things set up like before with my FC5 ~/* backup.

Dave