Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Tue May 15 12:43:30 UTC 2007

At 12:31 15/05/2007, you wrote:

>http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/03/where_fedora_went_wrong.html
>
>What are your comments? I feel simillar.
>
>--
>http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
>linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
>registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
>ICQ: 2125241
>Skype: valent.turkovic
>
>--

I have to agree too.

Like I said in reply to Gene's posting about three hours ago, I'm
annoyed that something that was functioning perfectly (on FC5) a few
days ago is now screwed up and not working. To the extent that this
morning I've wiped Fedora from the hard drive of the office computer
and installed Dapper Drake. After running the updates and setting the
screen resolution, when I plug a flash drive into a USB socket it
mounts it and puts an icon to the drive on the desktop i.e. it "just
works" like FC5 used to but now does not. As the blog says this must
be down to a lack of attention to detail and not properly testing
updates before they are sent out i.e. human error.

I doubt whether fixing things like this will now be receiving much
priority with the F7 release being imminent, which is a shame. IMHO
there is nothing wrong with using a fast moving distribution like
Fedora, but when a version is getting towards the end of its life it
should be left alone in a fully working state that we can continue to
use until ready to upgrade.

Dave F