Intel Pro Wireless 3945

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 15 13:26:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 09:13:42AM -0400, John Dey wrote:
> >Have you started the regulatory daemon (ipw3945d)?
>
> Yes ps -C ipw3945d shows with a time of zero.  I did yum install
> ipw3945 and ipw3945-kmdl-`uname -r` as reported yesterday.  My system
> boot ipw3945d at initialization.  I am somewhat confused about
> ipw3945-firmware ( I can't find a yum version) or is it ipw3945-ucode.
> I may not have the firmware installed?

It's the latter and you must have it installed if you did the yum
command above at that command pulls in both the regulatory daemon as
well as the proper firmware.

But! The regulatory daemon needs to start after you modprobe the
module. This is a chicken and egg problem, which is why the setup in
http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/INSTALL looks so convoluted and in fact
is often causing problems.

Follow the step in the INSTALL document to verify the driver is
working (not the build steps, but only the run steps). This will guide
you properly to a working system. Next you can experiment with
automating if for booting purposes. If you're lucky (90% are) the
modprobing in /etc/modprobe.conf will work for you.

If not, then you need to try autoloading the module in
/etc/sysconfig/modules/ipw3945.modules. modprobe, optinally sleep a
second or two and start ipw3945d in there.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net