Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue May 15 14:44:24 UTC 2007

Valent Turkovic wrote:

> http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/03/where_fedora_went_wrong.html
>
> What are your comments? I feel simillar.

The main complaint seems to be:
---------------------------------
What’s different this time is that they can’t solve the problem by issuing a
new patch or bugfix. The code isn’t broken. The problem is insufficient
testing and just plain sloppy repository management. What Fedora’s
repository managers are really lacking is attention to detail. It’s a human
issue and those issues are always the hardest to fix.
---------------------------------

I haven't found this at all.
On the contrary, rmp and yum seem to me one of the best things about fedora.
Sometimes the yum repositories get confused for a day or so,
but this always seems to be sorted out pretty soon.

I ran Ubuntu (which ESR compare Fedora to) for a time on one laptop,
and it seemed just as good and bad as Fedora in almost every way.
In fact I couldn't tell which I was running.
I changed the machine back to Fedora just because it is simpler
to run the same system on all machines.

As to flash disks, which were mentioned,
mine have always worked perfectly -
if one didn't come up automatically I'd put it down to a temporary glitch.
I certainly wouldn't change distributions because of that.
That seems to me a bit like selling a house because a bulb has gone.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366