Success! FC6 and AMD64 problems

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Tue May 15 14:58:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 15:31 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
> > For dual-booting systems, you'd (normally) run the hardware clock on
> > localtime.  For all-*IX systems, you'd (normally) run the hardware clock
> > on GMT.
>
> I must say, I find the setting in F=>Administration=>Date & Time
> rather confusing.
> What does the checkbox "System clock uses UTC" mean?
> Is this a statement or a question?

It means whether the "time" stored in the BIOS is to be the localtime
(unchecked) or UTC (checked).  For those of us that have Daylight
Savings Time, the BIOS clock needs to be updated twice a year if you
have the BIOS on localtime.  UTC never changes, so the BIOS is constant.
The original recommendation to set it to localtime (unchecked) is
because that "other OS" that the person is dual-booting defaults to use
localtime.  You want to have the same setting for both OSes otherwise
your time would keep being off every time you booted into each other OS.

> Incidentally, who changed GMT to UTC?
> Whoever it was, they should be shipped to Guantanamo.

Gotta love standards groups.  I presume the anti-anglo-empire folks.
Isn't Greenwich the center of the universe? ;-)

--Rob