Apache/Digest Authentication/Password files

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Wed May 16 05:42:42 UTC 2007

I want to set up a directory on my Apache server so that if I'm home
(i.e. on the same LAN as the server) I don't have to enter a
userid/password to access it. If I'm on the outside, I want to be prompted.

OK, that's the easy part. :-)

I'd prefer to use Digest instead of Basic authentication, and I'd prefer
to be able to use my own userid/password that to create yet another
password file some place.

Is there a way to tell Apache to use the system userid/password file?
 From what I've determined so far, this is not possible... I have to
create a new password file just for this purpose... is there a way to
keep the two in synch? If I change my password for logging on to my
userid on Linux, I'd then like that new password to work for logging on
to the web page from "outside".

Thanks for any pointers?

FC6 with Apache 2.2.4-2