Backing up Evolution e-mail messages

Michael A Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed May 16 06:43:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 16:15 +1000, John Bradley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Could someone please tell me how to backup / copy all my e-mail messages
> to an external USB hard drive?
>
> I'm running Evolution 2.8.3 on FC6.
>
> No doubt it's probably really easy to do if I spent a bit of time doing
> some research, I just don't have the luxury of time right now so would
> some kind FC user please oblige?

Use rsync to sync your user evolution directory to the hard drive - but
the first sync will take a long time.

There really should be a way to do it from within evolution. That's a
good feature request.

another option is to use tar - but tar will take a long time because of
the file database (LOTS of tiny files). rsync will too the first time,
but should be better performance wise with subsequent syncs.