gnome-translate program

John John at johnsdesign.net
Wed May 16 16:06:22 UTC 2007

Peter Gordon wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 13:26 -0500, John wrote:
>
>> Anyone have experience using gnome-translate? I'm in the process of
>> downloading/installing a bunch of stuff....
>>
>>               John
>>

> I play around with it for fun; and while it works decently enough, it
> does translate far too literally. For example, the Spanish informal
> command "¡Dámelo!" ("Give it to me!") is translated as "It gives it to
> me!" since the third-person formal present-tense indicative conjugation,
> in this case of the verb "dar" ("to give"), is what is used as the
> third-person informal present-tense imperative (command) form.
>
> (Okay; I'm a language nerd, sorry. :O)

:) I looked at it again after work last night; while the program was
great for typing English to Norwegian, I seem to have a problem going
from Norwegian to English... No matter what I typed in, I kept getting
something like 'unable to process chunk'. There's a handful of old
family letters that need to be translated- it's going to take forever
with a dictionary.

             John