wpa_supplicant - how to get going

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed May 16 18:52:32 UTC 2007

Mike C wrote:
> For someone who has always run wireless by using conventional
> network service with an appropriate
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 or ath0 etc with the
> "network" daemon running, and never been able to get wpa_supplicant
> working, does anyone havce a howto that describes what changes are
> needed to go from a working conventional system to using
> wpa_supplicant (with WEP encryption)?
>
> Assuming that /etc/wpa_suppicant/wpa_supplicant.conf has apropriate
> entries, and that /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant has been edited for
> an appropriate driver etc, what other steps are necessary to get
> going assuming that previously a good wireless connection was
> running with WEP encryption with the standard method?

I have been using NM since FC5, but prior to that I used the standard
network scripts with a WPA AP.  I had to make some changes to the
scripts and I sent a diff to the list during a thread last August.
Perhaps that thread and the diffs will help you a little.

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-August/msg01929.html

I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard
enough to find your way around Chinatown.
    -- Woody Allen