Fedora and Qwest

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Thu May 17 01:04:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 16:32 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> Static IP 63.228.89.116 gateway 192.168.0.1, Sub net 255.255.255.255,NS
> Primary Server 205.171.3.65---Secondary Server205.171.2.65
>
> Does anyone have any idea for what values I would enter into a standard Dlink
> router to get it online?  DHCP doesn't work -- even though they said that it
> uses "standard DHCP requests", there is no response whatsoever when I send one.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if what I'm about to
ask has already been dealt with:

Are you trying to connect a Linux router to a DSL modem provided by the
ISP?  Is the DSL modem a combo device (e.g. switch and router)?

I have a Bell DSL package for my home office.  The DSL modem they gave
me is a router+switch+modem+wireless ap.  All I wanted to do with the
DSL "everything-but-the-kitchen-sink" device was to use it as a modem,
and connect a real firewall (IPCop) to it.  The IPCop machine would then
be signing in and initiating the PPPoE connection.

it took me four calls to finally find out that all I had to do was reset
the modem (i.e. return it to factory defaults), and connect my IPCop box
to the modem's WAN port (can't connect anything to the modem's switch
ports).  That kept the modem functioning as only a modem.  I entered my
account details into IPCop, and it took care of the rest (got the static
IP, gateway, etc.).

I don't know if that's helpful.  I'm also half asleep, so I don't even
know if what I'm writing is making sense.

Good luck.

Regards,

Ranbir

--