Fedora and Qwest

Doncho N. Gunchev gunchev at gmail.com
Thu May 17 01:12:13 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 2007-05-16 21:43:12 Frank Cox wrote:
> I am setting up a customized application server for a business in the USA and
> am at my wits end with Qwest Communications.

> IP Address is what he was assigned by Qwest, good.
> Subnet 255.255.255.0, good.
> Gateway 192.168.0.1 ---- ?!?!?!

> Can any of you offer any insight?  The whole thing is an Alice in Wonderland
> thing as far as I can see, and the further I go down this rabbit hole the less
> sense it seems to make.  I don't see how those settings on his Windows computer
> can work, and I don't see how the tracert results that he got can be possible
> either.  But it does, and it did.

ip link set up dev eth0
ip address add your_real_ip_here peer 192.168.0.1
ip route add default via 192.168.0.1
ip route flush cache

and you are done. Have no idea if this can be done with ifcfg-eth0 (not AFAIK).
you can however give no IP/MASK in yout ifcfg-eth0 and add these (withot
the first one) in /etc/rc.d/rc.local for example.

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev, GPG key ID: 0EF40B9E, Key server: pgp.mit.edu