On Bugzilla and spreading FOSS, was: Where Fedora Went Wrong...

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 17 22:55:42 UTC 2007

M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2007 23:39:15 PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram
> (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) wrote:
>
>> M. Fioretti wrote:

>>> I have already explained (1) why I believe the "This is a COMMUNITY,
>>> so you must contribute to it in some way" slogan, even when expressed
>>> politely and in full good faith as Rahul just did, is... let's say
>>> counterproductive, these days, so I won't repeat it here.
>> Did I ever say you must? Don't put words on my mouth.
>
> Well, you did say "if you have time to complain, you have time to
> contribute", which frankly sounds almost the same to me and has the
> same limits.

Then something is distorting your sounds or ear. I am ok with people not
contributing anything at all. Regardless of what I want the large
majority is simple not going to contribute but I will do what I can do
to encourage them. If feedback is provided it can be done is
constructive ways.

  > I have just looked at that page. Thanks! I think you did a pretty good
> job of making the current system less unusable (the fact that it is
> unusable it is not your fault, of course). I have bookmarked that page
> and will point to it folks who are trying to use bugzilla with Fedora
> or other environments. However, I am not sure you and I are talking
> about the same scenario. Your explanations are clear and a real time
> saver for somebody who already is a competent Linux user. My initial
> comment was written with the real newbie in mind. Consider what you
> wrote in the OOo section:
>
>     * A crash on startup might be a crash in some OpenGL lib, not OOo itself.
>           o Get the test source at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=108799.
>           o Run gcc testgl.c -o testgl -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lGL to compile it.
>           o If it also crashes, your bug is probably not an OOo bug.
>           o If it happens on an x86_64 box, remember that OOo is a 32-bit app, Firefox is 32-bit on the same platforms, so see if it has the same problem as well.
>
> These instructions and their purpose are very clear to me, but for a
> real newbie they are absolutely obscure gibberish.

That's not the audience it was written for.  The newbie solution is
better client side apps which Will Woods, QA lead for Fedora is working on.

Rahul