flash drive mounted under root

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Fri May 18 12:50:35 UTC 2007

Tim,

on 05/17/2007 11:59 PM Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 21:28 -0400, oleksandr korneta wrote:
>> damned, it is driving me crazy. /var/log/messages says
>> "mounted /dev/sda1 on behalf of uid 501" This is my uid!!! I mount the
>> drive, but the root appears to be the owner and I have no write
>> access!
>> I even made /media world-writable - no difference.
>
> On FC6?  I don't see that problem.  I'm seeing things mounted with my
> user ID but root as the group ID.  I can still do what I want with the
> device (mount, unmount, play with the files, etc.).

I'm really happy fro you that you don't have this problem. I did not see
it either since fresh install of FC6, until couple weeks ago (cant tell
exact time). Now _all_ my removable storage (DAPs, pen-drives, all the
media cards through cardreader) is mounted read-only on this system.
Now, who tells me what packages have something to do with this
situation, I will trace their update and try to roll back to previous
version?

PS: I hate the person  who came up with *brilliant* idea to move  all
the removable stuff mounting configurations from fstab, everything was
so clear and easy there...

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./