On Bugzilla and spreading FOSS, was: Where Fedora Went Wrong...

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 18 14:04:05 UTC 2007

Since people yelled at me I have been bugzilla-ing more. I still find it
a royal pain in the &^%$&. It probably does a good job in notifying the
developers of bugs. But what it rarely does is solve your problem
promptly.

Recently I got a further request from the bugzilla person that I needed
to send him a gdb stack trace of the program crashing. My immediate
response was how can I do this when I did not compile the program with
the appropriate option.

Do you all know the answer? Well I feel educated now so I would like to
share this with you all. In the tree of rpms suppled in the Fedora
repositories there is a debug subtree that contains rpms with that
symbolic information.

So in my case gnome-cd was the offending program. I had to install the
gnome-cd-debuginfo rpm. Isn't that neat and from my point of view been
kept sort of secret, for me at least.

They're giving bank robbing a bad name. -- John Dillinger, on Bonnie and
Clyde
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net