flash drive mounted under root

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 18 16:08:23 UTC 2007

oleksandr korneta:
>>> I mount the drive, but the root appears to be the owner and I have
>>> no write access! I even made /media world-writable - no difference.

Mine's:
 ls -Zd /media/
drwxr-xr-x  root root system_u:object_r:mnt_t          /media/

And the /media parent directory permissions wouldn't affect write
permissions in sub-directories inside /media (e.g. /media/drive/file).
SELinux could be biting you.

Tim:
>> On FC6?  I don't see that problem.  I'm seeing things mounted with my
>> user ID but root as the group ID.  I can still do what I want with the
>> device (mount, unmount, play with the files, etc.).

oleksandr korneta:
> I'm really happy fro you that you don't have this problem. I did not see
> it either since fresh install of FC6, until couple weeks ago (cant tell
> exact time).

Ok.  Didn't know, until then that you're using FC6, too.  I've been
keeping up-to-date with mine, I tend to run updates every other day or
so, and nothing recently has caused me problems.  I hadn't noticed any
problems a little further back, but I hadn't used a flash drive during
that time.  Are you up-to-date?

> Now _all_ my removable storage (DAPs, pen-drives, all the media cards
> through cardreader) is mounted read-only on this system.

What file system are you using on them?  FAT doesn't have separate user
permissions, so will get what the mount applies to it.  Other systems do
have user ownership, and can/will use the ones on the drive's file
system.

> Now, who tells me what packages have something to do with this
> situation, I will trace their update and try to roll back to previous
> version?

You should probably look through your /var/log/yum.log (if you used yum
to update).  I haven't looked into what packages, but HAL, UDEV and
gnome-mount are some of the things that could be involved.

> PS: I hate the person  who came up with *brilliant* idea to move  all
> the removable stuff mounting configurations from fstab, everything was
> so clear and easy there...

As far as I'm concerned, removable media ought to work all by itself,
without you having to do anything with fstab.  It's the damn computer,
it should figure out what to do.

Removable media can be a right pain with fstab, but you can still use
it.  Though be prepared for headaches when it comes to things not being
connected at boot, USB drives that get plugged into different USB
sockets or connected in different orders (/dev/sda one day, /dev/sdb the
next time you plug it in after plugging in another device, first).

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.