Network outage with FC6 and sky2 driver

Brian brian at miatar.org
Fri May 18 17:44:01 UTC 2007

I'm pretty sure this occurs with larger files. Unfortunately, I'm unable to
use the nvidia interface.

I edited /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* appropriately but for
some strange reason the nvidia interface is just not working (now, worked
two days ago). If I switch to the sky2 interface it works just fine so it's
not a network/cable problem.

I'm starting to suspect a motherboard hardware failure.

As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) I'd only have to change
the ifcfg-eth* scripts to change the interface configuration. The specific
interface name (eth0, eth1 e.t.c) is determined by aliases in
/etc/modprobe.conf. Correct?

I did this but the nVidia interface is not working. It comes up and shows
activity (Rx/Tx counters increase) but I cannot ping any host on my network.
Moving the cable / configuration back to the sky2 interface and everything
works (except, the sky2 driver problem)

Any ideas why the nVidia interface comes up but I cannot ping any hosts?

Thanks,
-Brian