FC6 sound gone <way OT>

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri May 18 21:13:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 19:03 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Friday 18 May 2007 18:37, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 17:11 +0200, Christian Menzel wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The sound in my FC6 installation was workings since I installed it in Oct
> > > 2006. Now it suddenly stopped working and I'm not aware of changing
> > > anything. I get no error messages from the audio applications like xmms
> > > or mplayer when I try to play audio. They show the normal behaviour, I
> > > just don't hear anything.
> > >
> > > The soundcard is OK, when I boot Knoppix from DVD, sound is working
> > >
> > > The mixer is not muted, system-config-soundcard won't help, the
> > > modules are loaded.
> > >
> > > Is there any configuration I can reset?  Or should I just wait for FC7
> > > and reinstall the whole stuff? I'm desperate...
> >
> > When I got REALLY desperate, I'd powerdown, unplug the card, reboot, let
> > the system deal with no sound card for a bit, making sure
> > that /etc/modprobe.conf was empty of sound card module info (or better
> > yet comment them out) then shutdown and carefully re-insert it, reboot
> > and Voila`! Woot! ...der it is! The hardware dingus would automatically
> > detect and install it brand new. It's a bit *ExTrEmE* but worked for me
> > in a royal pinch when I was at wit's end. Ric
> > --
>
> Now just where did you find that word "dingus"? The last time I heard that was
> from a Belgian friend, who used it when he couldn't find the correct english
> word for something.

I think that is a word that Robert Heinlein used. It was always a
"dingus" that enabled a red-haired and freckled 13 year old Lazarus Long
to journey to Mars or the Asteroids, after cobbling together an
improbable craft made from various assorted bits and pieces found
conveniently in an Uncle's barn. Of course the Uncle worked undercover
for the AEC and had some really mysterious yet useful dingus's lying
about, just waiting to be put together by an inquisitive mind. Isn't
that how Linux got started? Same mindset. Every male geek on this list
over 40 has read Heinlein, dreamed of finding the Uncle's barn and
blasting off and away from this festering cheese-ball called Earth to
reach adulthood "out there" instead of back home in some Dog Patch.

The female brain remains just as mysterious today as it was back when,
in a Heinlein novelette. They were always too smart! Read Starship
Troopers, where the she became high IQ starship pilot and he drug
knuckles as a ground pounding grunt, and was proud of it. Nothing has
changed. He finally solved the problem for his character in his last
works by cloning Lazarus Long's feminine self and marrying "her". That
made me cringe a bit, but it made sense after awhile of digestion. But,
even that "she" was still smarter and meaner. I miss ole Robert. This
may be way off topic, but I'll bet there is a collective "ahhhhh..." of
recollection among the older geek males on this list, and possibly some
of the Ladies as well.

<drags hairy knuckles, toothy grins and eyebrow waggles> Ric